#1. I can accomplish a whole lot in one sitting.
#2. I sew a whole lot better when I've had a few.
Got the cats applique project all but quilted:
I didn't like the design of the bows so added in the center "knot". Some of the cats were given pink noses and others black. Some I didn't add a nose at all. I decided against naming them. Most of the cats that we've had have been black and white tigers. When I purchased this fabric I literally walked the quilt shopping grabbing FQ's that made me think of cat fur. Kind of a "oooh I want to pet that fabric". So I have a little of every kind of cat in here.
Mobi HELPED - - - - - - a lot.
Remember all that stuff I'd picked up before my Dad trashed all my Grandma's quilting supplies?? There were these blocks with hand appliqued (turned edge) pieced hearts. 2.5 blocks were completed with several more cut. So now that I'd gotten a taste of applique I decided to finish up this project in honor of Grandma.
I TRIED - I swear - to do these by hand as Grandma did. Let me just say I can not hand blanket stitch even after being shown how, practicing and re-watching another youtube how-to video. I also was unsuccessful at trying to do the turned edge applique - how did Granny do this without the aid of all the fancy gadgetry we have today? I raw edge appliqued and machine stitched. Ended up with an odd number of blocks and did the whole process again with a slightly smaller heart in contrasting colors. I ran out of my green stripe in the boarder. I'd envisioned a mitered corner but this works too. I'm going to quilt it myself with a little outline around the hearts and some stitching the ditch. Got a brand new ditch stitching foot to try too!
1/2 Grandma's way ; 1/2 my way on this one heart.
# 3 Fact learned: My sister-in-law can SEW and DRINK me under the Table!!
Sounds like the perfect way to spend a weekend! Glad you all had such fun! Grandma would love her quilt I'm sure :)
ReplyDeleteYour cat quilt is wonerful...looks like your cat had one too many too...
ReplyDeleteYour grandma will love the quilt!
I'm sure Grandma would be proud that her blocks have now come out and been made into a completed top!!! The cat quilt is cute.
ReplyDeleteThe cat quilt is great, but I think Mobi may have had one too many!
ReplyDeletetoo funny, brooke! i love those quilts!! i think i need some creating with cocktails time!
ReplyDeletehugs,
christina
it looks like the cat snuck a drink too!
ReplyDelete