Greg and I went to my cousin Chances wedding this weekend. It was a lot of fun - Chance is a laid back, quiet, reserved type guy to me and his new wife was a finance major. I imagined a traditional tedious wedding. NOT AT ALL. They were a lot of fun. The married in the park, danced down the aisles and the night was filled with laughter and fun. They had cupcakes and a candy table. Greg and I discovered that we haven't danced since our own wedding 14 years ago and although we tried a couple of different dances we were mostly stiff trees out there, rooted and wiggling a little. We spent the night at my brothers house where he lives with his girlfriend and her roommate. I discovered I was not smarter than the shower - For the record- Greg couldn't figure out how to turn it on either. I had to get dressed, go find Annie and have her make the shower work. Anyone ever see a shower that turns on by pulling the ring around the tub spout? I'm talking about where the water comes out. It was odd. Mom and Dad took us out for lunch to the HuHot. Mongolian BBQ. I'd never experienced anything quite like that. You go through a salad bar style set up selecting your raw meat, noodles, veggies and sauce. Then you hand it off to a guy who tosses it on the wheel shaped grill. They play around with it a bit and then slide it off onto a plate and hand it back to you. We ended the meal by making smores at our table. And that was way cool!
On our way into town We'd stopped at the local quilt shop. Now I've been hearing a lot of good things about this shop for the past couple of years. We spent about a 1/2 hour in the shop and I just wasn't impressed. Yet I'm fond of some shops that others wouldn't ever stop at again. So what makes a good shop? Is it personal preference or are there specific factors that you look for?
For me I like a friendly staff - I think I should be greeted moments after entering. Even a "I'll be with you when I'm done here" is okay with me. I usually don't need help, I'm browsing but I like to know the shop staff know I'm there. Lighting is another big factor for me. If it's low light and I feel like I'm shopping in the gloom, I'm not going to like the shop. I like a nice variety of selection but if there is so much crammed together that I can't see things or I'm tripping over stuff - I'm going to be irritated. I'm a big girl and I dislike feeling squished or trapped. Most of the shops I've been too have similar fabrics in about the same price ranges. I have a wider, cheaper selection online but then I can't feel the fabric or see the subtleties of the fabrics. What is your favorite shop and WHY?
My favorite shop here in Minneapolis has samples, samples and more samples! It is well-lit and is a bit crowded, but not bad - still easy to get through without tripping - I agree both are important. As for the staff, sometimes they greet sometimes they're rude. The samples and eye candy make it easy to ignore the rude ones. I like shops that make my creative juices flow and make me want to go home and sew.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE HuHot...and once had to call the front desk at a hotel to ask how to turn on the shower...lol it was the same thing..why do they hide it?
ReplyDeleteThere is a great shop near me, they carry designers that others don't ...BUT the staff is surely, the shop is dark and I don't go there because of it. They do a booming online business though...
My favorite shop is Serendipity here in Delaware. It is owned by a really sweet and talented lady Cathy. She and the staff are very helpful, not overbearing, and so knowelgeble, and best of all a wonderful selection of material, wool and wool felting supplies,and sewing notions. They have classes and even a morning where you can go, meet other quilters, exchange ideas and work on your own projects.and there is no charge for the room. She and most of her staff belong to a couple of our local Quilt Guilds. The shop and Cathy are a definate asset to our Area
ReplyDeleteOh, Brooke...I always have problems figuring out showers no matter where I travel!!! I had to laugh when I read that in your post today. I like the shop Kaye mentioned, too...but I also love a certain Amish shop in Bird-in-Hand, PA...but can't think of the name now. AND...I may have a new favorite after Tonya and I go shop at MaryJo's in Gastonia, NC on Thursday.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had fun except for the shower...I know how to do ours, but put me in a new place, and I can't figure out nada.
ReplyDeleteMicki