Sorry that the quality of this pic is poor - image was taken at dusk. I've been working on this all week. It's my first attempt at applique. Everyone else in the class is doing some intricate several peices thing like flowers and stems. I went for big round dots. My rounds still have flat spots but what the hell - it's done right? Applique wasn't near as hard as I thought. Greg quipped "Hey this is like duct tape for Quilts" I loved that so much I had him sent it to the heat n bond company. Don't you think that'd be a catchy ad during the super bowl? I can just see a million men turning to the crafty wife and saying: "you should get some of that." I'd had this whole plan for how to lay out the quilt top only to get excited and just grabbed at random. Greg kept saying my seams were off - but when you get close you realize it's the background fabric coming together weird. I'm not sure how I feel about that. These aren't really my colors so it's hard for me to fully like it. The friend I'm making it for really likes green and orange. Every time we've done crafty things, she's done some really cool circle pattern. When I looked up her baby registry there was this neat little play mat in browns, blues and greens that were all circles. I though PERFECT - I'm going to do that dot to dot pattern from the American Quilts magazine. I started grabbing green and orange fat qrts from everywhere and then HATED them together. Then I saw the background fabric and knew this was what I needed - I could just never get that blue worked in or find a fabric that had those colors. The pattern doesn't have a border but I'm wondering if it needs one? Maybe a dark brown would calm it all down a little? Gold might work too? The big circles have a swirly gold line in them. The whole thing kind of leaves my brain out of focus.
It looks great Brooke. I think it would look nice with a border and one of the browns may calm it down a bit.
ReplyDeleteI love this. I found your blog via the Quilt Bingo blog. Love it....
ReplyDelete